Mission Statement: To preserve and revitalize residential neighborhoods and adjacent commercial properties and promote historic preservation efforts throughout Central Phoenix.
The Story neighborhood is one of Phoenix's first historic districts. Its 602 homes date from the late 1920s and span a variety of architectural styles, including Spanish Colonial Revival, English Tudor, Craftsman bungalows and transitional ranch. Homes are listed on both the federal and state registers of historic places. The neighborhood is bounded by McDowell Road, Roosevelt Street, Seventh Avenue and Grand Avenue. It is governed by the Story Preservation Association, a non-profit group consisting of Story residents. The association was started in 1984.
Neighbors enjoy proximity to downtown with Chase Field ballpark close by, as well as Symphony Hall and other cultural venues, restaurants and art galleries, and the ability to hop on the light rail for trips to Tempe and Mesa.
Here's a link to a Powerpoint file which is a map of the neighborhood.
Thank you to all that came out to the Annual SPA Meeting/Picnic. It was a great turnout. The Annual SPA Members Meeting was called to order at 3:30PM. A call for new business was made, with none being submitted. Motion was made to adjourn and seconded.
We hope everyone had a great time eating, mingling with fellow neighbors, and enjoying the music. Any suggestions for items to add or improve can be brought to any new Steering Committee member. Also, thank you to all that volunteered to run on this next Steering Committee and congratulations to those that were elected by your neighbors (indicated by ✔). The new board takes its position on May 1st, with its first meeting May 10th.
- ✔ Will Denney - 1118 W. Culver - 90
- ✔ Steven Methvin - 722 W. Willetta - 89
- ✔ Maureen Towne - 1105 W. Willetta - 80
- Lynae Cole - 1101 W. Culver - 9
- ✔ Jay Roberts - 734 W. Portland - 81
- ✔ Diego Delgadillo - 738 W. Moreland - 72
- ✔ Steve Dreiseszun - 1125 W. Culver - 60
- ✔ Kelsey Dake - 1141 W. Culver - 59
- ✔ Milt Jacobs - 934 W. Willetta - 57
- ✔ Cheryl McGregor - 710 W. Moreland - 54
- ✔ CJ Carenza - 1305 W. Lynwood - 53
- ✔ Christopher Dillman - 926 W. Willetta - 48
- ✔ Jason Martinez - 718 W. Culver - 48
- ✔ Gary Hochstetler - 705 W. Portland - 47
- ✔ Ginger Mattox - 1606 W. Lynwood - 46
- ✔ Zeth Tovrea - 1102 W. Culver - 46
- ✔ Joe Zbick - 1105 W. Latham - 45
- ✔ Diane Hochstetler - 705 W. Portland - 44
- ✔ Jacob Zonn - 925 W. Lynwood - 44
- ✔ Robert Croft - 718 W. Roosevelt - 43
- ✔ Rob Shupe - 1115 W. Willetta - 43
- ✔ Jean Barnhart - 1101 W. Portland - 43
- John Barnhart - 1101 W. Portland - 42
- Kristina Byrd Krump - 937 W. Portland - 36
- Liz Atkinson - 1105 W. Lynwood - 35
- Dave Stanton - 1122 W. Lynwood - 34
- Nathan Anderson - 1314 W. Willetta - 28
Members at Large
Agenda for the next SPA meeting
Download a copy of the minutes of recent Steering Committee meetings
Get a Story Welcome Packet and be listed in our neighborhood address book
Are you new to the neighborhood? Or just dropped off the radar? Add your name to the neighborhood address book. It's a handy way for neighbors to stay in contact and is only available to residents of Story. Visit the sign-up page.
Visual Award Winners Past and Present
We have added a gallery of photos of Visual Award winners - Past
and Present. Check it out.
- Check traffic from the ADOT traffic cameras in the tunnel and beyond
- State Historic Preservation Office
- Find City building permit info on the web
- Take a bite out of crime
- Property ID forms available from the City
- Register your pet with the PetPal
- Remove a pet you no longer have
- What to do with lost or found pets
- Next uncontained trash pick-up
- Contractor Survey
- Story bylaws
A note about email addresses:
In order to attempt to foil spambots, your webmaster adds the characters "nospam" to all email addresses. To send an email to anyone, be sure to remove these characters from the email address.